Monday, September 1, 2014

PCOS -what?!

You may have heard these four letters: PCOS, but may not be sure exactly what it means unless you have it or know someone who has it. They stand for polycystic ovarian syndrome.
It is a hormonal disorder affecting approximately 5-10% of women of reproductive age. While the word "ovarian" is in the title, it affects way more than just the ovaries and the reproductive system. In fact, some women may experience irregular periods, acne, excess body hair, weight gain (and difficulty losing weight), insulin resistance, depression, mood swings, difficulty sleeping to name a few symptoms.

The exact cause of PCOS is unknown. Some doctors believe it may be genetic since many women who have PCOS have family members that have it too.

There is no cure for it, but fortunately, the symptoms can be managed.

It can be difficult to diagnose teenage girls because many of the symptoms are very similar to normal changes of adolescence.

For more on PCOS, you can check out this factsheet by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office.

On December 16, 2011, after years of struggling with multiple symptoms, discomfort and a series of unpleasant tests, I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance (insulin produced by my body doesn't work efficiently). 

So of course, I was prescribed medication to help manage some of these symptoms. Unfortunately, it took me a few months to get adjusted and for the side effects to subside (mostly gastrointestinal problems, headaches, bloating, etc.). I still get flare-ups every now and then.

My endocrinologist referred me to a great dietician who introduced me to a low-glycemic (low-GI) diet. The dietician helped me create a healthy diet and exercise plan.

What is insulin resistance?

If I eat foods that are high in sugar and carbs, more insulin is needed to convince my fat and muscle cells to absorb the glucose and the liver to continue to store it. The pancreas ends up producing greater amounts of insulin to try and keep everything under control. That's why it's important for me to watch what I eat, and why I follow a low-GI diet.

I despise the word diet, as I see it as a lifestyle change. The way I eat is not temporary; it’s a permanent change I had to make to keep feeling better.

But despite all the changes I've made to my lifestyle and all the weight loss, I was still getting frequent gastrointestinal issues and a lot of itching in my mouth, throat and ears.

I was diagnosed in 2014 with Oral Allergy Syndrome, which meant avoiding many raw fruits and vegetables that were on my list of low-GI fruits and veggies unless they are cooked.

On top of avoiding the offending raw fruits and veggies, I took gluten out of my diet, and have been feeling better than ever.

However, when following a low-GI diet, be careful about pre-made gluten-free products as they typically contain a lot of sugar or other sugar supplements and bad fats.

I couldn't help but think that others may be in the same boat. That's how the idea for this blog came to life. And if I can raise awareness about PCOS at the same time, even better.

September is PCOS awareness month.

I'll be sharing recipes, tips and tricks throughout the month.

And to my fellow cysters, if you have recipes, tips and tricks to share, please do so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment